Founder & Director - UK
MA (Hons), PgD, FBCI, FEPCcmb@planbconsulting.co.uk
Contact: 0790 844 8555
Charlie Maclean-Bristol is one of the Founders and Directors of PlanB Consulting. He is also the Training Director of Business Continuity Training Ltd., a UK-based training provider accredited by the Business Continuity Institute.
A former Infantry Captain in the British Army, Charlie held several emergency planning, business continuity and crisis management positions within the energy and utility industry before founding PlanB Consulting in 2007. Over the past eleven years, Charlie has delivered business continuity consultancy in 6 of the worlds 7 continents, frequently providing full business continuity roll-outs to organisations of all sizes and in all sectors. His public sector work in the UK is of particular note, having delivered consultancy and training for numerous city councils and government departments.
Charlie is a former Business Continuity Institute board member and one of the very few Fellows of both the Emergency Planning Society and the Business Continuity Institute. He has won several industry awards for his contributions to business continuity, including Business Continuity Consultant of the Year from CIR and Industry Personality of the Year from the Business Continuity Institute. Charlie makes frequent appearances as a subject matter expert at conferences, as well as on radio and television. He is also a keen writer, having penned a weekly business continuity blog for the last eight years and been published in several academic journals.
Charlie’s passion and commitment to organisational resilience stretch beyond professional excellence and into academia as well: he holds a postgraduate diploma in Emergency Planning and Disaster Management from the University of Hertfordshire. He is also a visiting lecturer at Strathclyde University, delivering lectures and tutorials on resilience, continuity and crisis management for an MSc programme.
Outside of his work with PlanB Consulting, Charlie has served for the last ten years on the board of Directors for Project Trust, an educational charity that sends young people overseas on social care, teaching and outward bound projects for 8-12 month placements. He is also a keen rugby and squash player.
Qualifications and Certifications:
- PgD Disaster Management and Emergency Planning - University of Hertfordshire
- MA (Hons) History and International Relations - University of Aberdeen
- CIR Awards - Business Continuity Consultant of the Year 2011 (Winner)
Publications, Media Appearances and Other Achievements:
- Business Continuity Institute Good Practice Guidelines 2010, 2013 and 2018 - Contributing Author
- The “Definitive Handbook of Business Continuity Management Edition 3” - 'Business Continuity and the Supply Chain'
- Co-authored the "The BCI Guide to… Exercising Your Business Continuity Plan" 2015
- Wrote the “Supply Chain Continuity Management” and "Validation" courses adopted by the BCI.
- Appearances and interviews on Radio Scotland, BBC Scotland, Newsnight Scotland and LBC Radio.
- Continuity Central Essay Competition 2013: “The Business Continuity Manager in 2017 – How You Can Avoid Obsolescence” - Shortlisted, Top 3.
- Numerous other articles published in Continuity Central and trade magazines.